Essential Crib Mattress
The Essential (52" x 28" x 4"), Fits all standard-size cribs.
Wake up happy. Our 100% breathable & washable crib mattress is 4 inches thick and features a soft, eyelet removable cover.
Product is currently unavailable.
To be notified when it's back in stock, enter your email below.
Our innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows your baby to breathe right through, reducing the risk of suffocation. They’ll rest easy. You can, too.
The only crib mattress that's washable from cover to core. NO foam, glue, latex or springs, so your baby will enjoy a cleaner, hypoallergenic sleep.
100% Better Sleep
The right level of comfort, support and air circulation means your baby will sleep better on a Newton. Happy mornings — and no sweaty backs!
2-Stage Slim Infant through Toddler Mattress4-inch Low-profile core. Designed for longevity through toddler years.
100% Breathe-Thru Single- Layer CoverSoft, single layer eyelet cover with a natural viscose lining. Viscose is our natural chemical free approach for exceeding rigorous federal flammability standards. Fully breathable and machine washable.
Wovenaire® Core90% air, 10% food-grade polymer and much more breathable than leading organic mattresses. Provides just the right firmness for babies and comfort for toddlers—there’s no need to flip the mattress as your baby grows.
GREENGUARD Gold CertifiedOur mattress is independently tested and certified for low chemical emissions, exceeding the highest industry emissions safety standards to help improve indoor air quality.
2,000+ 5-Star Reviews
Powering Modern Heroes
You, (Moms and Dads), are modern-day heroes keeping your babies safe day after day. We help you keep them safe when you say goodnight and turn out the light.
"We purchased the Newton crib mattress for our 3 month old after extensive research. She absolutely loves the mattress and sleeps comfortably during her naps and at night. The mattress is very well designed and so breathable that I never worry about her now that she can roll to her belly. I love everything about this product including the washable covers. The soft pink is perfectly delicate and adds just the right touch!"
"I started recommending this mattress the morning after my baby slept on it for the first time—it was the first time she slept thru the night on her own! Great quality, easy to clean, baby obviously loves it so I love it too!"
"This mattress is truly breathable. I love that it is easy to clean. Our reflux baby is finally sleeping well."
"I love the mattress, it feels soft but firm enough for the baby. She sleeps comfortably, and I sleep well knowing she is safe."
"Breathe-thru it! Great piece of mind at a fantastic price. Add on that it’s washable and recyclable, we have a winner!"
"My little babe sleeps well from night one, the quality is great, and it gives me peace of mind. I wish I had bought it sooner!"
"My daughter began sleeping on her tummy and sometimes flat on her face when she learned to roll over. I feel so much better knowing her mattress is totally breathable. Highly recommended."
"Mom with anxiety and a baby who loves her belly! Sleeping has changed our lives, knowing our little babe has a Newton mattress she can breathe through! Thank you!"
- Fully breathable, washable and recyclable
- Wovenaire® core is made of safe, food grade polymer
- Single layer 3D spacer cover is 100% polyester
- GREENGUARD Gold certified
- The firmness they need and the comfort they want
- Tested to meet Australian Firmness Standard
- Meets all ASTM and CPSC standards. Lead & phthalate free
- Standard Dimensions: 52" x 28" x 4"
- Standard Weight: 11 lbs.
Return & Exchanges
RETURN / EXCHANGE POLICY
- Risk-free, Easy Returns with our 100-night trial, money-back guarantee
- Easy exchanges or upgrades within 30 days of purchase.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Accidental Insurance available through Mulberry
Shipping & Delivery
- Processing time: 1-2 business days
- Ships via FedEx
- Transit time: 3-7 days once shipped
- Free Shipping in the contiguous 48 states
- Shipping fee to HI & AK calculated at checkout based on zip code
- $50 flat fee for Canada ( includes duties and taxes)
Care & Use
Washing the Cover:
- Washing the outer cover before first use is optional.
- Cover zips off and goes right in the washing machine.
- Be sure to leave the cover zipped for best results.
- Wash on cold with a mild detergent.
- Dry immediately in dryer on tumble dry low heat setting, allowing to dry thoroughly. DO NOT leave damp from wash; DO NOT hang dry.
- Wash the cover as often as you like.
TIP: The Essential cover is made with natural Viscose layer which may develop an odor if allowed to remain damp (like a wool sweater). To refresh, add 1/2 cup baking soda to the wash.
Washing the core:
- For the really big mess or just for seasonal cleaning, the core can be washed whenever needed.
- Wash in the shower with soap & cool water or rinse outside with a hose.
- Shake excess water out of core and stand-up to dry.
- Place in well ventilated area for faster drying.
- Avoid drying in direct sunlight and do not use heating elements to speed the drying process.
Do I need to add anything to my Newton mattress?
Your Newton mattress consists of the Wovenarie core material covered by a viscose encasement and the single layer removable outer cover. While your Newton mattress is the perfect sleep surface for your baby, you may consider adding some other items to create the ultimate sleep environment (and have backups in the linen closet).
- Chances are you'll want to purchase an Extra Cover. Fully removable, machine washable and interchangeable, our Extra Covers are lifesavers for parents who prefer to have one ready when late-night accidents occur.
- Our Waterproof Mattress Pad is a safe, breathable option to traditional waterproof pads. It's perfect for adding to your Newton once your little one can roll in both directions on their own (often sooner than you might think)! It's easily the best item to have in your diaper bag as well — for caregivers or when traveling — as it can add a layer of breathability to any traditional sleeping surface.
- Add sheets to your Newton from day one with our perfect-fit Organic Cotton Muslin sheets. They're as breathable as our mattress, gentle to the touch, and get softer with more washes!
Can my baby breathe through this mattress?
Newton crib mattresses were tested for air permeability, suffocation risk, and Co2 rebreathing factors in a third-party CPSC-accredited laboratory. During these tests, Newton crib mattresses showed 97% more airflow than the leading organic crib mattress, reducing the risk of suffocation.
100-Night Free Trial
Try the Newton Crib Mattress for 100 nights risk-free to decide if it's right for you and your baby. If either of you aren’t happy, simply return at our expense for a full refund.
Top 3 Crib Mattress Questions
Is your baby mattress organic?
While the Newton Crib Mattress is not organic, it is a safer crib mattress for baby. Most "organic" baby crib mattresses feature only one organic component, such as cotton fabric or stuffing, but they aren't fully organic. Newton offers a mattress that is not only completely breathable to reduce suffocation risk but also offers the only washable crib mattress, making it the most hygienic sleep surface for your baby. Our products are GREENGUARD Gold certified, proving that Newton offers only safe products for your family.
Why a breathable mattress for baby?
A breathable crib mattress not only helps to reduce the risk of suffocation but also helps regulate baby's body temperature (that's right, no more sweaty backs!) and reduces dust mites and allergens. This allows babies to sleep more comfortably and longer through the night.
What is the crib mattress size?
Standard crib mattress sizes are regulated to meet a minimum sizing of 27 1/4" x 51 5/8" and not thicker than 6 inches. Standard crib sizes, while also regulated, can vary a bit based on construction. If a crib is labeled as a standard crib, Newton Crib Mattresses will fit nice and snugly inside.